Member Initiated Productions
NEW SINCE 2022: Winnipeg Film Group will contribute a $500 credit to the eight MIP Grant recipients. Recipients will need to purchase a WFG membership with the production add-on in order to utilize this credit.
The credit will be good for:
– Equipment Rentals
– Studio/Edit Suite Rentals
The MIP Program is designed to stimulate the desire of ACTRA members to come together and create original works of art without requiring the financial resources to pay established daily fees to performers. It is also intended to encourage ACTRA members to develop their skills as actors, and in other key creative areas.
Under this Program, the role of the ‘producer’ is played by the partnership that is created by the members who come together. ACTRA’s role – through ACTRA PRS – is to represent performers’ interests in the commercial exploitation of the project in the marketplace.
The Member Initiated Production Award, or “Golden Boy Award” (Member Choice Award), is presented annually at the MIP Showcase by ACTRA Manitoba to the “Most Outstanding MIP” Member-Producer(s).
Some key dates:
- Submission deadline: November 3, 2023
- Grant recipients will be notified by November 17, 2023
- Principle photography must be completed and any invoices/receipts for the first half of the grant must be submitted by February 29, 2024
- Delivery of final cut of the film, along with eligible expenses with receipts for the second half of the grant must be submitted by March 31, 2024
The MIP Showcase will be held in May 2024 (exact date and venue TBA).
New for 2024: Going forward, the Golden Boy Award will be selected by an independent jury. The traditional process of the award being presented to a film via audience choice, will now become the Robert Macklin Audience Choice Award in appreciation of our recently retired Branch Rep. who started it all.
- One additional $1,000 DEI (Diversity, Equity and Inclusion) grant will be awarded to support projects from marginalized individuals or groups.
- Eagle Vision Indigenous Filmmakers Award for $1500. If the filmmaker wishes, Eagle Vision would like to offer a meeting with them to offer support to them in their filmmaking career prior to, or after completion of the project.